Maudy Ayunda, Young Lex and Yura Yunita Share the Spotlight with
Ariana Grande, Charlie Puth and Selena Gomez
Web Link :
November 24, 2016 – Spotify today revealed the list of the 25 most influential artists under the age of 25 who are dominating the music industry in Indonesia right now. Taking a look at the Spotify data, Eighteen-year- old Canadian singer-songwriter Shawn Mendes tops the list, boasting 25 million Spotify listeners each month and over 500 million streams of his breakout smash, Stitches. Following Shawn Mendes at the top of the list are: Ariana Grande, Martin Garrix, Justin Bieber and Alessia Cara.
To determine the 25 under 25 list, music experts at Spotify looked at a variety of factors such as the number of people listening to an artist each month on Spotify, artists with songs featured in Spotify’s top playlists and top-performing artists by genre.
The top 25 list also includes newcomers bursting onto the scene, such as The Overtunes. The band is proving to the rest of the industry that age is just a number as they are working towards the advancement of Indonesian music. Also included are mainstays BTS, Maudy Ayunda and Young Lex.
“Music is definitely universal. Regardless of age, these artists have definitely broken boundaries and have proven to many that they are here to make an impact within the industry. We are excited to see music from all over the world – international, regional and local – resonate amongst our Spotify users in Indonesia. With so many young listeners on Spotify, it’s always fascinating to hone in on the peer artists they’re listening to and looking up to,” said Chee Meng, Tan, Director of Label Relations, Spotify, APAC.
Listen to Spotify’s 25 Under 25 Playlist here.
Spotify’s 25 Under 25 (Indonesia Edition):
- Shawn Mendes: Shawn Mendes started out posting six-second Vine clips of himself singing covers, and now, at 18, the singer-songwriter from Toronto fills major venues and attracts an impressive 25 million Spotify listeners each month. Mendes’ sophomore album, Illuminate, dropped in September and multiple tracks are popping on Spotify, with notable standout, “Treat You Better,” on track to give Mendes’ breakout smash “Stitches” (500 million plus streams) a run for its money
- Ariana Grande: Ariana Grande might not be a dangerous woman in the criminal sense, but her music slays. Multiple tracks from the 23-year-old singer’s latest album became instant hits; “Dangerous Woman” and “Into You” have both clocked more than 200 million streams each, and “Side to Side” (with Nicki Minaj), is a top 10 song on Spotify’s global chart. Did we also mention Grande has 27 million monthly listeners? Ok, maybe she is dangerous.
3. Martin Garrix: Having reached EDM stardom at the age of 17 thanks to several bombastic remixes, Dutch artist Martin Garrix, now 20, is at the top of his game. Garrix’ banger, “In The Name of Love,” is tearing it up on Spotify’s “Today’s Top Hits” playlist. With 21 million monthly listeners, Garrix is comfortable hanging out as one of Spotify’s top twenty most popular artists of all time. Garrix just released a new single, “Make Up Your Mind,” on October 21st.
- Justin Bieber: Justin Bieber has been on a hot streak since his comeback Diplo/Skrillex collaboration “Where Are Ü Now” dropped in early 2015. With follow-up monster solo hits that just keep coming at us, like “Love Yourself,” “What Do You Mean?” and “Sorry” – which have all passed the 700 million streams mark – there’s just no stopping the Biebs. Bieber’s collaboration with Major Lazer and MØ, “Cold Water” is currently streaming more than 2.5 million times a day.
- Alessia Cara: Alessia Cara might have made a name for herself with a song about her disdain for teen parties, but the party has definitely arrived for this talented 20-year-old from Ontario, Canada. Since the success of “Here,” Spotify’s most viral song in the U.S. last year (and #5 globally), the R&B singer has attracted more than 13 million monthly listeners. Cara’s track, “Scars to Your Beautiful,” is a favorite in our “Today’s Top Hits” playlist at the moment.
- Charlie Puth: With a whopping 20 million monthly listeners on Spotify, singer-songwriter Charlie Puth is one of the top players in pop music today. He gained worldwide recognition for the Wiz Khalifa song “See You Again” which Puth wrote, produced and sang on. His duets with leading ladies like Meghan Trainor (“Marvin Gaye”) and Selena Gomez (“We Don’t Talk Anymore”) turned to pop gold, with the latter seeming to have taken up permanent residency on our global charts.
- Fifth Harmony: This all-girl R&B group needs no introduction; more than 16 million Spotify listeners stream Fifth Harmony’s infectious tracks each month. The fun, flirty jam “Work From Home” has racked up more than half a billion listens and was a playlist staple over the summer in the U.S. and UK (much like “Worth It” from the year before), and current favorite “All In My Head (Flex)” (featuring Fetty Wap) has flexed some serious muscle on our charts.
- Hailee Steinfeld: Hailee Steinfeld’s latest track, “Starving,” is taking off, with more than 160 million streams and a confident sojourn up Spotify’s global chart. It’s safe to say the track solidifies the 19-year-old oscar-nominated actress as a top pop artist, following on from last year’s breakout single “Love Myself” (210 million streams). Steinfeld, who also starred as one of the Bardon Bellas in the accapella-celebrating movie “Pitch Perfect 2,” has 17 million monthly listeners which, I think we can all agree, is aca-astounding.
- Zara Larsson: After winning a TV talent show in her native Sweden at age ten, Zara Larsson disappeared for a while, grew up a bit, honed her singing chops, then made it her mission to tear up the world stage of pop music. Mission accomplished: monster tracks “Never Forget You” (385 million streams) and “Lush Life” (485 million streams) feature Larsson, now 18, as a genre-bending artist, blending pop, EDM and even a little hip-hop. Larsson attracts a whopping 18 million monthly listeners and her current track, “Aint My Fault,” is killing it on our “Today’s Top Hits” playlist.
- Selena Gomez: Selena Gomez shed the last remnants of her children’s TV star past with the release of her sultry, coming-of-age album, Revival. With multiple songs surpassing 200 million streams like “Hands to Myself,” “Same Old Love” and “Good For You” (currently at about 330 million streams), Gomez, 24, is now one of the leading ladies of pop music. She averages 2.5 million streams a day and listeners are besotted with her current collaboration with Charlie Puth, “We Don’t Talk Anymore.”
- Demi Lovato: Demi Lovato commanded everyone’s attention with her assertive, no holds-barred album, Confident, which produced the mega title track as well as last year’s summer standout, “Cool for The Summer” (180M streams). Listeners are also embracing Lovato’s sultry track, “Body Say,” in a big way. Overall, the 24-year-old singer-songwriter attracts 10 million monthly listeners.
- Daya: Singer-songwriter Daya can be heard all over The Chainsmokers’ massive summer ‘16 hit, “Don’t Let Me Down,” but in the summer of ‘15, her own track, “Hide Away,” (215 million streams) was already setting her stage for superstardom. The 18-year-old talent from Pittsburgh, whose real name is Martine Tandon, just dropped her full-length debut album Sit Still, Look Pretty and the title track has had an impressive run in Spotify’s “Today’s Top Hits” playlist.
- BTS: This seven-member South Korean boy band are not only known for their musical talent but also for their large social media presence, and were named by Forbes as the most retweeted artist on Twitter in March 2016. However, let’s not forget where their prowess is built on; their lead hit single “Blood Sweat & Tears” from their second studio album (Wings) is fast becoming a fan favourite. It has gotten over 8 million streams since it was launched on Spotify.
- EXO:EXO is definitely a boyband that everyone looks out for. Short for Exoplanet, these heartthrobs are known for their unique mix of rap, hip-hop, rock, R&B and most importantly their choreography. The band has been one of the most popular subjects on the Internet ever since they debuted in 2012.Their latest single “Dancing King” has been bringing in the stream numbers since launch, as it is now shy from 3 million streams.
- BLACKPINK: BLACKPINK released their debut single album Square One followed by their second single album Square Two. Although, a recent newcomer to the industry, BLACKPINK definitely crushed any misconception anyone had about them. As, their (debut) hit singles – “Whistle” and “Boombayah” – secured the top positions on the Billboard World Digital Songs chart. They were fastest act to do so, and the third Korean artist to hold such spots. We don’t see this band slowing down anytime soon.
- Isyana Sarasvati: This pop starlet dropped her debut album last year and this year gave fans three more hits to enjoy. “Kau Adalah” and “Tetap Dalam Jiwa” are currently a favourite amongst Spotfiers as both songs have hit more than a million streams thus far.
- DEAN: Having written chart toppers for K-Pop boy bands such as EXO, Block B and VIXX, DEAN has definitely proven himself as a successful hit song maker. Earlier this year, he dropped his EP, 130 Mood: TRBL, with notable standout hits such as “Pour Up” and “D (Half Moon)”. With such successes under his belt, it is no surprise that he performed during SXSW2016 in Texas this Spring, a first for an Asian artist, followed by performing at K-CON in Los Angeles.
- Rizky Febian: According to news report, Rizky was not keen on releasing his single “Kesempurnaan Cinta”. We and all fans of Rizky are glad that he did eventually release this amazing song. To date, this hit has gotten over 2 million streams on Spotify. And his remix of the same song is definitely becoming a favourite as well. We can’t wait to hear what else he has in store for us.
- Yura Yunita: “Intuisi”, Yura’s latest single was made available earlier this year and it has beensuccessful riding the streams. The song is described as a journey of emotions as one who is crushing on someone else. It is all about the feels!
- Young Lex: The 24-year-old stole public attention when his songs such as “OAja Ya Kan” went viral. He recently dropped his latest single “Slow”, no surprise there as this is fast becoming a fan favourite. The power of Lex’s songs lies in the themes which appeal to youth, catchy lyrics and also dynamic beat. He claimed that inspirations come from personal experiences and also his surroundings. And we hope this young rapper continues making music that would continue touching our souls.
- Sheryl Sheinafia: Having been exposed to music at a tender age of five, it is no surprise that Sheryl is using her talent to entertain us. Her latest single “Kutunggu Kau Putus” is fast becoming a fan’s favourite, as the lyrics speak volumes about the reality of love and life.We can’t wait to see what she has in store for us in 2017.
- Maudy Ayunda: With her versatility in the music and film industry, Maudy Ayunda is definitely a multitalented performer. Beginning her career as an actress, she has now earned a reputation as an accomplished musician, capable of singing, playing the guitar and the piano. Her second studio album Moments earned her a Multi-Platinum award. The said album is also a favourite on Spotify as her current top five popular songs are from this award-winning album.
- Fatin: Fatin became the pride of the nation, when she became the first Indonesian singer to win the title Best Asian New Female Act during the 2016 Daf Bama Music Awards.Her latest release “Salahkah Aku Terlalu Mencintaimu” which is a remake from the original hit dropped in 2003, reminds many the realities of music and the importance of it.
- The Overtunes: TheOvertunes have definitely become one of the most sought after bands in Indonesia and we are not surprised by this. They are winning over hearts with their voice and performances. Their latest album Selamanya+ is building great hype as fans and music critics alike are seeing a band that is going to continue releasing hits after hits.
- CJR: This boy band has definitely won the hearts of many, especially with their latest album Rudy Habibie (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack).With over 26 thousand monthly listeners on Spotify, this band is definitely growing and ready to capture more hearts.